Bobby Berk has addressed the rumors surrounding his falling out with Queer Eye cast mate Tan France.
On Thursday, just one day after the Netflix series returned for its eighth season, Vanity Fair published a wide-ranging interview with the 42-year-old interior design expert. During the conversation, he opened up about an alleged feud with his cast mate Tan France.
“I hope this interview will help extinguish some of the speculation,” Berk said. “I want people to know that Tan and I — we will be fine.”
While he did shed light on a "situation," he said the two have moved past the issue.
“Tan and I had a moment. There was a situation, and that’s between Tan and I, and it has nothing to do with the show. It was something personal that had been brewing — and nothing romantic, just to clarify that.”
“Should I have unfollowed Tan? No,” Berk continued. “Maybe I should have just muted him. But that day, I was angry, and that’s the end of it. We became like siblings — and siblings are always going to fight.”
Regarding his previously announced exit from the show after the current season, he added that he and his other costars — which also includes Karamo Brown, Antoni Porowski and Jonathan Van Ness — had previously signed a seven-cycle contract that ended in September 2022. Once the group had finished filming in New Orleans, Berk said he assumed it was the end.
He told Vanity Fair that on the final day of filming, “the Fab Five and the crew, we all stood there, and we took pictures and cried. We thought we were done. Mentally and emotionally, I thought we all moved on. I know I did, and I started planning other things.”
He explained that although the original Queer Eye agreement was for a seven-cycle contract, due to writers and actors recently striking, Netflix had a lack of original content and reached out to the Fab Five to fill the void.
However, by this time, he already had other projects that he was working on.
“We’d just assumed that the show wouldn’t come back if we all didn’t come back,” he said. “I was like, I’m not going to be having FOMO ’cause the show is not going to happen. I had become at peace with it.”
Berk reiterated that he’s come to terms with no longer rejoining the series that launched him to success.
“There were definitely emotions. But each one of us had our reasons why we did what we did,” he said. “I can’t be mad — for a second I was.”
“All the plans that I had made when I thought we weren’t coming back, I just wasn’t willing to change those. I would have had to pump the brakes on multiple other projects that are already in process. We had mentally just prepared ourselves to move on — that’s why I left.”
Berk announced his departure in mid-November.
At the time, a source close to the situation told PEOPLE that "Bobby’s departure is unrelated to relationships with his cast mates. The parting was amicable."